Alice and Kathleen Morgan

Alice and Kathleen Morgan were evacuated from Liverpool to live with the Bushbys during the Second World War.

Alice and Kay first visit back to Sibbersfield October 2006

When Alice and Kay were evacuated from Liverpool they left behind their mother, father and baby brother Robert. Their father would not allow Robert to be evacuated, saying that he was too young. They travelled by bus to the church hall in Farndon. They were told not to let go of each other’s hands.

Mrs Bushby was busy arranging flowers for the church and said she’d take care of the two of them. Two boys went to the farm hands cottages. They recall that one was Richard Williams but unfortunately they cannot remember the other boy’s name. Both boys worked on the farm and the girls sometimes went over to the farm to play with them. They often played by the cherry tree. Bats lived in the Archway to the farm and they were frightened of them.

The girls helped people by collecting eggs, harvesting the hay and they watered the plants. They recall Bill the gardener and the garden being beautiful. There were four maids. They recall Evie, one of the maids and Eva Youd the cook who they loved. They lived in the back half of the house and their bedroom was over the kitchen. The kitchen was the hub of the house. They remembered the huge bath and having the head-lice being combed out of their hair over a marble table. They were presented to Mr and Mrs Bushby every morning and evening and had to say “Good morning Sir and Madam.”

They were very happy at the hall and were well treated. They had plenty of food. However they were made to eat spinach which they didn’t like. They would hide it in their pockets instead of eating it. Kay still doesn’t like eating it to this day.

They walked over the fields in clogs to school in Farndon. In the snow they were taken on horseback. They only did part-time schooling. (This was very common at the time.)

There were very few visitors to the hall. The one visitor they do remember was Miss Penelope who came to stay during the main holidays. She would always bring the girls sweets. She brought Turkish delight at Christmas. They had lots of presents. Christmas dinner was always set out in the big hall and there was always a big Christmas tree. They went to church in Farndon three times every Sunday in the Rolls Royce!

They recall the house being alive. It was full of warmth and there were fires in every bedroom. The main part of the house was full of oak panelling and there was a table with elephants on in the hall.

From the moment they arrived at the hall they were treated like ladies. They were waited on. All their clothes were made for them and were of very good quality.

Their Parents came to see them whenever they could. Bobby came as well and he used to hide behind the big thick curtains. Towards the end of their stay just their Dad visited as their mum was pregnant with Leonard. He took them to the River Dee to fish.

They both have very happy memories of the hall and speak most highly of Mr and Mrs Bushby. On reflection they thought Bill and Dora Bushby looked old even then. They said they were patted on the head by Mr. Bushby. He was not a very demonstrative man.

The girls returned home and soon discovered that life was never to be the same again. They recall being taught to wash the front door step as they hadn’t got a clue how to do it.

Alice’s first job was as a machinist at Libro. Her mother told her she had to do the job. She was only 14 years and 2 days old. She married Peter twice. The first time they were married by special licence as he was going away in the army. When he came home on leave they got married in St. Michael’s church.

Alice’s biggest hobby is her family. She used to enjoy knitting and dancing. For 21 years she worked as a cleaner at St. Michael’s school. She is currently employed by PSS (The Personal Services Society) and has worked for them for 22 years. She has had over 40 people to live and be cared for by her. At present Tony has lived with her for 13 years. She enjoys going to Bingo and reading.

Kay left school and became a Littlewoods Pools Clerk. She met her husband John at the Grafton. Her hobbies are her family and reading. For the last 26 years she too has worked for PSS. She has cared for 184 people and recently received an award in recognition of her services. She presently cares for Angie who has lived with her for 22 years.